What is ergonomics?
Ergonomics is a science concerned with the ‘fit’ between people and their work. It puts people first, taking account of their capabilities and limitations. Ergonomics aims to make sure that tasks, equipment, information and the environment suit each worker. To assess the fit between a person and their work, ergonomists have to consider many aspects.
• the job being done and the demands on the worker;
• the equipment used (its size, shape, and how appropriate it is for the task);
• the information used (how it is presented, accessed, and changed);
• the physical environment (temperature, humidity, lighting, noise, vibration); and
• the social environment (such as teamwork and supportive management).
How can ergonomics improve health and safety?
Applying ergonomics to the workplace:
• reduces the potential for accidents;
• reduces the potential for injury and ill health; and
• improves performance and productivity.
Subscribe to our rss newsfeeds here
Submit your Ergonomics Press Releases and news items to:
Contact us on: +44 870 199 4044
Follow us on Twitter @Ergo_Journal